What is Piano Keys about?
We recommend beginners between 8 and 10 years start in our group Piano Keys Course. A full range of musical skills will be developed and there is quite an emphasis on playing the piano.
During this course your child to develop a set of musical skills essential for any budding musician including:-
- Reading – notes and rhythm
- Aural skills – by ear recognition of notes and phrases. This essential musical skill is often overlooked especially in private lessons where it is difficult to teach on a one to one basis. Music is a aural art and a well trained ear is essential to becoming a competent musician.
- Keyboard Harmony – your child will learn to play chords that form the underlying basis or harmony of music. Chord playing assist in developing skills such as transposition, composition, improvisation and playing by memory.
- Pattern recognition – music is built using patterns. Your child is taught to recognise musical patterns and this aids in memorisation.
- Transposing – is playing known pieces in other keys or positions on the piano. From the early stages your child will transpose.
- Playing the music rather than only what is exactly written on the page. We encourage our students to play the music not the just the notes. eg if the piece is jazzy then we play it with the rhythms of the jazzy style. In the beginning this concept is as simple as what we play with the right hand we play with the left hand even though it is not written out!
- Theory – recognition and writing of musical notes and symbols
Piano Keys – Times
Tuesday 5.00 pm Wednesday 1.00 pm Thursday 5.00 pm
Sunday 11.00 am
“Great community of musicians, great place to learn!”
Fletcher Blight, Toowong